Animation Study

Electric and Electronic Engineering

Life in Japan 1

Life in Japan 2

  • Academic Degrees, titles and required study period

     Applicable status of residence

    Status of residence is categorized according to types of activities, statuses and positions that foreign residents are allowed to undertake in Japan. The one applicable to international students for study at a university, a junior college, a college of technology, a professional training college and a Japanese language institute etc., in Japan is “Student.”

    Period of stay are as follows: 4 years and 3 months, 4 years, 3 years and 3 months, 3 years, 2 years and 3 months, 2 years, 1 year and 3 months, 1 year, 6 months or 3 months.


  • Academic year and school term system

    The academic year of schools in Japan normally starts from April and ends in March of the following year.

    Many universities in Japan adopt a semester system (two terms), with a first semester from April to September and a second semester from October to March. Some of the universities adopt a trimester system (three terms) or a quarter system (four terms).

    Q. When are school vacations?



    A .Typically there are three long school vacations—summer (from late July to early September), winter (from late

    December to early January) and spring (from February to March).

    Q. I understand students are typically enrolled in April in Japan. Is there a September or October admission

    system in Japan?



    A .Yes, there is. Especially many graduate schools adopt a September or October admission system.

    Q. Are there any programs that allow me to earn a degree by taking classes conducted in English only?



    A .Yes, there are. The number of such programs is increasing each year. However, please note that colleges of technology, junior colleges, and professional training colleges do not provide programs conducted in English only

  • Academic Fees

    Academic fees in Japan are not so high as those in the United States and the United Kingdom. In addition, Japan’s scholarship programs and tuition exemption/waiver programs are more extensive than those in other countries.

    The first academic year’s school expenses include admission fee, tuition fee, facility/equipment usage fee, among other things. The average academic fees for the first academic year are summarized below. Please note that admission fee is payable for the first year only. Average academic fees for the first academic year Unit: JPY and USD (calculated at the rate of US$1 = ¥117)

    Graduate Schools

    University undergraduate programs

    Japanese Language Institutes

    Japanese language institutes

    Preparatory Japanese language programs offered at private universities and junior colleges

  • Internship

    Internship is a system that allows students, yet to graduate, gain experience in positions related to their future career or major by way of working in companies. Some universities recognize internships as part of education and gives credit for it. Please enquire directly with the school for the availability of internship program during your study in the school and the accreditation of its credits. If the internship comes with an income, please take note the student concerned has to obtain the permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted.


    ■ Status of residence for students of foreign universities entering Japan under an agreement or arrangement between the university and a Japanese company


    When a student of a foreign university comes to Japan for work experience based on a contract or agreement with a Japanese corporation or other such entity, as a part of the university’s credit-earning curriculum, the status of residence will be one of the following, depending on whether or not there is remuneration, and depending on the length of stay: “Designated Activities,” “Cultural Activities,” or “Temporary Visitor.”

  • Job Hunting and Employment in Japan

    Even if you are unable to find a job before graduation from the Japanese university or professional training college, you can still continue to engage in job-seeking activities in Japan for one more year after graduation by changing your status of residence from that of “Student” to that of “Designated Activities”. Period of stay of “Designated Activities” is 6 months and only one additional 6-month extension is allowed.


    The Employment of International Students by Japanese Company

  • Life cost in Japan

    Currency and price of goods


    The Japanese currency is the Yen (¥). Cash payment is common in Japan although many stores accept credit cards. Checks are not normally used in Japan for the payment of everyday expenses.


     Prices of major products in Japan



Shiba 2 -30-16,

 Kimi-Kopo Suite 302

Minato-Ku, Tokyo


All rights reserved Copyright © 2016,